„Raspbmc is a minimal Linux distribution based on Debian that brings XBMC to your Raspberry Pi. This device has an excellent form factor and enough power to handle media playback, making it an ideal component in a low HTPC setup, yet delivering the same XBMC experience that can be enjoyed on much more costly platforms. Raspbmc is brought to you by the developer of the Crystalbuntu Linux Distribution, which brings XBMC and 1080p decoding to the 1st generation Apple TV.
Here’s why you might like Raspbmc:
- Free and open source.
- No knowledge of Linux is needed. If you want to use the Raspberry Pi as an XBMC frontend you can do exactly that with no knowledge of how anything works.
- It can be installed with a few simple clicks from a Mac or a PC running Windows or Linux.
- It’s auto updating, meaning you constantly get new features, performance and driver updates. You can however turn updates off at any time.
- It supports 1080p playback.
- Share your content from your PC over NFS, SMB, FTP and HTTP.
- AirPlay and AirTunes support allow you to send music and video from your iDevice to the TV.
- Full GPIO support!
- As it is a Debian system, it is completely expansive and you can install any packages from Debian’s massive repository!
- … and much more!
Raspbmc is created and maintained by Sam Nazarko, an 18 year old student from London.“